(July 12, 2021) Keep your pet cool and comfortable this summer. These simple tips will help you keep them safe through the hottest months and help you avoid unnecessary veterinary visits.
1. Never, ever leave your fur babies in the car. In just 20 minutes, the interior temperature can rise by 20 degrees!
2. Make sure they have unlimited access to fresh water, whether playing outside or on a walk. For long walks, consider a portable water bottle made for dogs.
3. Just like people, dogs need access to shade when outside.
4. Plan walks during the cooler hours of the day and try to stay off of hot surfaces (like asphalt) because it can burn paws.
5. If you think it's hot outside, it's even hotter for your pet – make sure they have a means of cooling off, like a pet pool.
6. Keep your dog free of external parasites (fleas, ticks) and heartworms – consult your veterinarian about the best product for your pet.
7. Consider shaving or clipping fur short for those with long or thick coats (talk to your veterinarian first to see if it's appropriate for your pet).
8. Be on the lookout for itching and scratching. It is not normal behavior in pets, and it could indicate allergies. Schedule an appointment with the veterinarian to identify the cause and to get treatment.
For more summer safety tips, visit the AVMA’s comprehensive resources. Veterinarians can also download free client handouts to help spread the word.