Disaster Reimbursement Grants
Disaster Reimbursement Grants for Veterinary Medical Care
The American Veterinary Medical Foundation Disaster Reimbursement Grants are for the purpose of ensuring the emergency veterinary medical care of animal victims of disaster.
Up to $5,000 may be issued per grantee for out-of-pocket expenses incurred by veterinarians providing emergency veterinary medical care to animal victims of disasters. A disaster would include, but is not limited to; flooding, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires or oil spills in an area that has been declared a disaster at the local, county, state or federal level.
The AVMF reimburses for the actual cost of medical supplies purchased directly from a vendor. Modest boarding costs may be covered. Professional/staff time, overhead costs, equipment usage fees and taxes are not reimbursable. Please review the table in the application form for more information on allowable expenses.
Limited funds are currently available. Funding will be approved on a first come, first served basis.
Please note-- the AVMF does NOT normally reimburse for expenses which should be reimbursed through the PETS Act. For information on the PETS Act see the PETS Act FAQ on the AVMA website www.avma.org.
Criteria for Eligibility:
- Must be a licensed veterinarian and member of the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Must have provided for the veterinary medical care of animal victims of the disaster listed on the application.
- Applicant may not have received any disbursement from AVMF for disaster reimbursement within 24 months prior to the submission of the current application.
- Applicant may not have previously received any disaster disbursement from the AVMF for the same disaster.
- Grants are awarded per clinic – not per veterinarian within the clinic. Only one application may be submitted per veterinary clinic. If multiple clinics owned by the same individual(s) are affected and more than one clinic provided emergency medical care, each clinic may submit its own application.
The application must be completed in its entirety with all supplemental materials attached and emailed to email@example.com
You will be contacted if your application is not complete. No decision will be reached on an application until all requested information has been provided. Applicants can request up to $5,000 in grant funds. Checks will be payable to the person/entity named in your application.
- All Disaster Reimbursement Grant applications received by the AVMF will be reviewed and applicant will be notified within 3 weeks of application.
- If the application is approved for funding, the applicant agrees to submit a written report on how the funding impacted their practice within 60 days of receipt of funds.
- Applications should include digital photos if possible.
Applications must be received no later than 90 days following the disaster.
Direct your questions regarding the application to: firstname.lastname@example.org